Our History

In 1857, a group of 39 dedicated Christians came together under the leadership of Reverend Dewey R. King to organize a church for public worship known as Ephesus Baptist Church. The original building was a one-room structure located on the North side of the railroad and used until 1868. A deed for two acres of land was recorded that year, and adjacent land was later purchased to make up our current location.
 
Our sanctuary was built in 1927. With our growth throughout the years, we have continued to expand our facilities, with the latest additions and renovations being completed in 2008.
 
In the 1920s, the 1868 building was sold to Lincolnville AME church, who later donated it to the North Carolina State Fairgrounds. Today, the old Ephesus church sits prominently in the Village of Yesteryear. During the state fair every October, the 19th century structure serves as a chapel for fair workers.
 
Of course, it’s easy to get caught up in thinking about a church as a building, whether new or old. However, we think of Ephesus as a congregation made of loving people eager to serve our Lord Jesus Christ by showing His love to our community and to the world. We hope that you will consider visiting us as we gather for worship and activities throughout the week.